Friday, December 03, 2004

Althouse: Reactions from Right and Left

On being portrayed as a "conservative blog" --

I will say this too, something I've been meaning to write for a long time. In blogging, I have repeatedly noticed the tendency toward inclusion from the right and exclusion from the left. That is, people to the right of me tend to notice the points of agreement and respond in a very positive way, overlooking or tolerating the points of disagreement. People to my left tend to notice any points of disagreement and react negatively, which I find quite boring and unattractive. Of course, it is also a terrible political strategy.


I note that Professor Althouse said it's just "a tendency" and not an absolute rule. I think there are a few of us lefties out here who prefer to note points of agreement as well. I read the professor's blog daily or at least every other day, and while I have disagreed about certain things (certainly, for instance, her conclusions about Sen. Kerry), I prefer to reserve my reflexive, knee-jerk liberal angry responses for the sort of hateful things that really deserve it. Even then, I think it's unproductive to try and silence such people. It works so much better to shine some light instead.

You don't learn anything new in an echo chamber, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home