Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Job Interview

I was offered a very out-of-the-blue job interview with my Madison dream-firm for a spring and possibly summer clerkship. It's tomorrow at 3:30, and I am already getting nervous about it.

If asked "what is your greatest weakness," I will quite honestly answer, "job interviews."

Seriously, I'm a good researcher and a good writer. I can be an effective advocate orally, given preparation. I just don't advocate for myself very well. In person, I'm very humble and very shy, neither of which is much service in a job interview (and probably neither of which you notice from this blog!). I don't know what to expect, or if I am preparing properly, and I don't want to blow this.

Seriously, this is the firm about which I told my wife last year, "If I could work for any Madison firm, it would be this one." Then I got a referral from a professor (rather unexpectedly) and three days later, I have an interview. Scary!

Perhaps the trick is to view myself as my own client, and try to make an argument for me. It just seems so forward.

UPDATE: Just had a mock interview. I didn't flame out spectacularly, so I am feeling a little better. Still, wish me luck!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that trait runs in the family. I feel uncomfortable talking about myself. Good luck tomorrow!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Maxwell said...

Thanks, Molly!

Molly, ladies and gentlemen, is my little sister.

6:35 PM  
Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Oh, wow, that's great news, Matthew!

Good luck tomorrow! I know you'll do well. ;-)

Take care.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Matty!!!
Let us know how it goes today!!!

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Maxwell said...

Thanks Megan, Jen, and OtherMatt.

Megan is my other little sister, people. When it rains, it pours.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home