Monday, September 13, 2004

I am a ghost

Normally, I am d'accord with Bukowski on solitude: you get so alone sometimes that it just makes sense.

But sometimes, once in awhile, I regret it when I walk into the atrium of that law school and realize how my family responsibilities have isolated me from my fellow students. There are precious few that I call friends, and even those are often surrounded by so many strangers that I am too daunted to approach.

SOMETIMES with one I love, I fill myself with rage, for fear I effuse unreturn’d love;
But now I think there is no unreturn’d love—the pay is certain, one way or another;
(I loved a certain person ardently, and my love was not return’d;
Yet out of that, I have written these songs.)

-ww

Sometimes I remind me of Ellison's Invisible Man.

2 Comments:

Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

I started my first two years of law school, while working an overnight shift at a facility for at-risk youth. This took me out of the day-day with the classmates as well, I only had my boyfriend, who was a year ahead of me...to give me any law school people stimulation. Perhaps this is another reason why it has taken me 3 years to complete that last year...

I feel for you.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Maxwell said...

Ah, and I for you. Who knows that plight like a fellow outcast, no?

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home