Thursday, November 11, 2004

I'm pretty tired...

from all the deadlines in the last few days. Two papers plus a chunk of my law review note, not to mention keeping up with the normal reading. I am going to take it easy today, and maybe tomorrow, but I will at least leave you with this little springtime love poem, which is both in and out of season.

________________________

She Tells Her Love While Half Asleep


She tells her love while half asleep,
In the dark hours,
With half-words whispered low:
As Earth stirs in her winter sleep
And puts out grass and flowers
Despite the snow,
Despite the falling snow.

(Robert Graves)

2 Comments:

Blogger Astrid said...

Springtime love poem? Now where is the snow coming from? Or is that some sort of metaphor? Just wondering ... *Astrid throws a snowball at Matthew*

9:12 AM  
Blogger Maxwell said...

That's what you get when you're burned out from too much studying, Astrid.

No, I was referring to:

Earth stirs in her winter sleep
and puts out grass and flowers
despite the snow...

It sounds like an early spring to me, or maybe a spring that doesn't care that its time has not come yet. Of course, the early spring imagery is a metaphor for love professed while half asleep, in my opinion, so you could just as easily say that it is a winter love poem. That's the cool thing about poetry.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home