Wednesday, November 03, 2004

November 3 and on

Jennifer asks:

So....

How are those Democrat friends of mine holding up?


Jen,

I am sick at heart today, as you might expect. I had high hopes for the election, and the contrary result pains me. I am worried for the future of our country. How will we endure?

How will we endure four more years of a foreign policy that is aggressive and militaristic, even by American standards?

How will we endure four more years of rising inequality, when the administration and the Congress are ideologically committed to domestic programs that ossify and entrench extreme wealth while failing to effectuate any programs that really help the poor?

How will we endure four more years of assaults on our rights and liberties by an executive who has proved to be willing to flaunt the law to achieve his aims?

Senator Kerry called on all of us to unify. I'm sorry, my Republican friends. There are Republicans in America that I could bring myself to unify behind today, but George W. Bush is not one of them. It's not just sour grapes; I haven't drunk the liberal kool-aid. I respect conservatives who believe in fiscal austerity. I respect conservatives who have strong religious beliefs. I don't respect soi-disant conservatives who use fiscal austerity and strong religious beliefs as pretenses to enact a radical pro-corporate agenda.

Count me, reluctantly, among the loyal opposition.

Please forgive my pretentious attempts at eloquence. I am too often a man ruled by his heart and not his mind.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

Well, I thought it was eloquent, and there's nothing to forgive.

If this is your heart speaking, then your mind must be incredible.

Oh, and I agree with everything you've just written.

Take care.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

An eloquent statement if any. I suppose once those of us in the loyal opposition get over our shock, we have some work to do. Nice sentiments.

7:04 PM  
Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

I would like to tell you to have faith.

I can only hope that we can pull together to fix the woes of the world, even with differing viewpoints on how to accomplish those goals.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home