Saturday, March 26, 2005

Neruda

From "Ode and Burgeonings"

Only a few miles at night,
the drenched distances
of the country dawn,
a handful of earth separated us, the transparent
walls
that we did not cross, so that life,
afterward, could put all
the seas and the earth
between us, and we could come together
in spite of space,
step by step seeking each other,
from one ocean to another,
until I saw that the sky was aflame
and your hair was flying in the light
and you came to my kisses with the fire
of an unchained meteor
and as you melted in my blood, the sweetness
of the wild plum
of our childhood I received in my mouth,
and I clutched you to my breast as
if I were regaining earth and life.



I would post the original Spanish for you, but I don't know how to do the accent marks, and I am too much of a snob to post it without the accents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home