Thursday, March 17, 2005

Yeah, right

Professor Volokh is (rightfully) ripping on Slate's Bushisms here.

The quote in question:

"In this job you've got a lot on your plate on a regular basis; you don't have much time to sit around and wander, lonely, in the Oval Office, kind of asking different portraits, 'How do you think my standing will be?'" — Washington, D.C., March 16, 2005

Really not on the level with "I know how hard it is putting food on your family." Volokh updates his post:

UPDATE: Some readers suggested that Bush was actually saying "sit around and wonder" rather than "sit around and wander"; it's possible, but I think he was indeed talking about wandering around the oval office talking to the portraits that are presumably hanging on the wall -- it makes more sense that you'd wander around to talk to them. Other readers suggested that Bush was alluding to Wordsworth's "I wandered lonely as a cloud"; that's also possible. But even if neither theory is correct, my point still stands: There's nothing worth mocking in what Bush was saying.(emphasis added)

Yeah, right. I'm not one of these Democrats that rails about Bush being too stupid to be President. On the other hand, I think it's unlikely he is making off-handed references to early English Romantic poets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home