Friday, September 23, 2005

Weird Dreams and Weirder Reactions

At 5:18 this morning I woke up from a dream. In the dream, I had gone with a friend to some sort of construction site, where, unbeknownst to me, my friend was casing the joint to steal an enormous pile of gold bricks. On the way out, there were some folding tables set up in the lobby, which looked a lot like the lobby at my high school, with little boxes of candy on them. Divining that the candy was for sale for charity, I took a box of Sour Patch Kids without paying. Reprehensible.

Driving away from the scene, I accidentally turned into a service drive used by Madison Metro, the bus company. I was stopped by a diminutive older lady in a Metro jumper, who was flanked by two enormous bald men, one white and one black. They began to interrogate me about my presence in the service drive, but I knew with the dreamer's certainty that they were trying to find out about my illicit candy theft.

That's weird. What's weirder is that I spent a good 20 minutes, at 5:18 a.m., devising my various defenses to being charged with illegally entering the service drive and taking the Sour Patch Kids, wondering whether pretense stops by bus drivers violate my 4th amendment rights. If so, the stop's illegal. If not, shouldn't I have been Mirandized before they commenced their interrogation?

By the way, the verdict was unanimous: "Nerdy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home