Friday, July 30, 2004

Acquainted with the Night -- Robert Frost

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain --and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height
One luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.

2 Comments:

Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

Why today?

I feel this poem today...

7:00 PM  
Blogger Maxwell said...

Jennifer,

I also felt this poem today. I've been down for a few days, and when I get down, the world seems like a very dark, lonely place to me.

I guess I can't explain it better than that. I like the law because I approach it with my mind. Poetry I feel in my heart and my gut, and I can't always put words to those feelings.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home